8.3.12

The mere illusion of freedom


I gave a light tug to the string, just to ensure that I was still in control. And then I laid down on the grassy plains to rest. The kite was gorgeous, and I loved kite-flying. As far as I can remember, I’ve always been a kite-enthusiast. I made my first kite when I was 4, but that never saw the clear blue sky. I flew my first kite when I was 10, but the string snapped, and I never saw that kite again. But here I am, 6 years later.

I guess I love kites so much because they’re such a beauty to look at, both from a distance, and up close. The way they soar in the sky, speaks so much of freedom, yet you’re still in control of it. Then it hit me – it was a mere illusion of freedom.

Then I thought to myself. Do I treat people the same way I treat kites? Do I sometimes like to draw them near when it’s convenient, and then let them fly far away when I feel like it? Do I like to give them the freedom to roam, and yet still try to manipulate their every action? Do I get rid of them by snipping the rope when it's too hard to handle the relationship anymore?