10.5.14

I sat by the window, looking out at the yard. The weather was great to be out playing. The sun was shining, with no rain clouds in sight. Three kids were out playing football in the yard. They were laughing and running, chasing each other round and round to no end.

Sigh.

Youth. When did age overtake me? I feel every joint in my body aching, and the thought of running around and kicking a ball juvenile and unnecessary. Get a job! Get married and have kids!

And then a shout distracted my thoughts.

---

“John! Why aren’t you out playing with your friends?”

“They’re just kicking a ball. I’m too old to be running around pointlessly.”


“They’re your classmates, and you’re ten for goodness sake! Stop talking like that and go play.”

---

Sigh. Maybe I grew up too soon. Where did my childhood go?