3.6.09

of exams (part 18)

The playing of the piano stopped instantly. The music echoed in the music room as they gradually faded away. Fear gripped John’s heart. He feared he would be kicked out from the house for simply touching stuff. He slowly turned his head. Every inch he turned, the faster his heart beat. Cold sweat beaded down the sides of his face. Tears sprouted out from his tear duct. For that moment, everything seemed to be running in slow motion. John turned and saw his uncle standing right next to the door, leaning against the wall behind him.

“Absolutely brilliant. But wait, I thought you never learnt music? Wow, that was fantastic. How long have you been learning? What’s the title of that marvellous piece you just played?”

John wiped the tears from his face. He saw a smile on his uncle’s face for the first time. His uncle walked towards him and patted his back.

“You okay, lad?”

Trembling, John stuttered as he answered his uncle.

“I don’t know sir. I have never seen this thing or heard of it until a few days back, when Janet was cleaning the house. What I did just now, I have no clue either.”

His uncle was dumbfounded. How is this even possible? A genius of music indeed, to be able play with such technique and skill barely knowing what a piano is. Amazing.

“That’s one of the best songs I’ve heard in my life!!! John, that’s what I call music.”
“Music....” he thought. “Music!”

A smile crept on his face. He felt this overwhelming joy in his heart. All his fears a moment ago were all forgotten.

“I love this thing called music!” he blurted out, without even thinking about what he wanted to say.

- THE END